Woodland Drives logo
An historic downtown neighborhood association dedicated to
preserving our quality of life

 
History of the Woodland Drives Neighborhood and Greenspaces

Old Fort Park
A little over an acre, Old Fort Park is bordered by Maple, Seminole, Santa Rosa and Country Club drives. It’s where the neighborhood hosts its annual picnic and movie nights. The fort, originally named Fort Houston for plantation owner Edward Houston, was one of the defenses constructed to protect Tallahassee during the Civil War. The fort’s earthworks were erected when Federal troops landed at St. Marks and advanced towards Tallahassee in March, 1865. The fort was never attacked, thanks to the Confederate victory at Natural Bridge south of Tallahassee on March 6, 1865. The earthworks remain today.

For more information and photos, click here.

Myers Park water resevoir
Members of the Houston family and others at the first City of Tallahassee reservoir near Myers Park.

Myers Park
Myers Park is Tallahassee’s oldest park and its 42 acres include tennis and basketball courts, Wade Wehunt pool and weight room, playground, forested nature trails, Little League field, and picnic area. The park is named for Frederick Towle Myers (1854-1927), a respected civil servant who served 36 years as the city attorney. Wade Wehunt pool is named in honor of Tallahassee’s first superintendent of pools and local real estate developer. Governor William Pope Duval’s 1820s home was in Myers Park near the tennis courts.

Chapman PondChapman Pond Park
This park is bordered by Circle and Merritt drives and is home to many migratory birds. Historians reference to a pond in Myers Park which was used as Tallahassee's first water reservoir and have surmised that this could be Chapman Pond.

The park is named for Roy H. Chapman, Florida Supreme Court Justice and former Myers Park resident.

Cascades Park
Although technically not part of Woodland Drives, residents can't help but be interested in the creation of Cascades Park, the 22-acre greenspace redevelopment project between our neighborhood and downtown Tallahassee. Named for a long ago series of waterfalls, the wetlands were filled as part the erection of a nearby railroad. Cascades Park hosted minor league baseball during the early 1900s. The park's completion is scheduled for 2010. For more information, click here.

Capital City Country Club
Immediately to our neighborhood's west is Tallahassee's oldest golf course--a tree-lined 18-hole golf course as challenging as it is breathtaking. Originally called the Hill City Country Club in the 1920s, it was a principal Tallahassee social center in the day. Its wooden clubhouse sat just north of the present-day 13th hole (directly south of Santa Rosa Drive) and had a large ballroom and a dance floor. The building burned down in the 1950s and was replaced by the current clubhouse.

The club also offers a swimming pool, tennis courts, 19th Hole grille and pro shop, card room, and fine dining for its members. Ballrooms provide some of the most elegant spaces in Tallahassee for wedding receptions, dinner dances, banquets, and other prestigious events. For more information, click here to go to the club's website.


Photos of the neighborhood

Neighborhood History

Historical and Architectural Survey of the Country Club Estates Neighborhood, compiled in the spring of 1986 by the Historic Tallahassee Preservation Board

 

Link to homepage